It’s hard to believe that 2005 is already 10 years ago. Yes, the year that brought us the latest entry in the Star Wars franchise is now a full decade behind us. In ten years a lot can happen—especially in fashion and beauty.
As you start planning for your 2015 fashion investments, consider these trends that were hot 10 years back—and aren’t exactly still sizzling today!
- Flared Jeans – Today we may be all about skinny jeans that we can fit in our boots, but in 2005, flares were all the rage. Flared jeans were not quite as large as the bellbottom trend of the 60’s (or the 90’s resurgence), but the flare was a significant change from jeans you would find today.
- Big Sunglasses – Paris Hilton and her pals made the big sunglasses super popular in 2005. While glasses today may not be tiny, they are nothing like the big, face-covering frames that everyone sported in 2005.
- Ed Hardy – This was the year that the Ed Hardy tee shirt became the must-have top for trendsetters everywhere. This trend simply got too big, too quickly. Soon there were knockoffs and cheaper versions available everywhere and the cache wore off. Now the brand is quietly easing back into something only worn by fans of the artist.
- Bold, Ethnic Jewelry – Large wooden beads, jade, turquoise and other elements were very popular in 2005. Quite often, these pieces would be layered and worn in new or unique ways. Some of these pieces are timeless, but many have that dated look and wouldn’t fit in well today.
- Bling – 2005 was the year of the bling. If something could be embroidered, emblazoned, bedazzled or sequined, it probably was. Bling still has its place, but in 2005 its place was everywhere.
- The Natural Look – For all the sparkles and boldness in fashion, makeup was very natural. Pink or light brown eye shadow, matte lipstick and light blush were the more popular trends. While there is nothing wrong with this, the look for 2015 uses these elements with a little pizzazz added.
Even though it may not seem like a lot has changed, clearly it has! 2005 brought many interesting advances in fashion and beauty—but interesting is not always a good thing! Keep these in mind when you think about jumping on the latest fashion bandwagon—who knows what you will think of it in 2025!